Continual Professional Development
Continual Professional Development (CPD) – is the means by the professionals maintain and enhance their knowledge and skills. The world is moving even faster so on-going CPD is essential to support you in your current role as well as helping you with career progression.
This is more important within our industry, with all the changes that are happening now and the future with the DVSA. As a qualified ADI, we need to make sure we are ahead of these changes as well as further developing our own skills leading on to further career prospects.
We deliver several CPD courses, both on a funded scheme or commercial basis to help you progress within your skilled areas. These courses include…
Fleet Driver Trainer Qualification:
Registration can be obtained by successful completion of the following examinations which include:
- Theory Test
- Practical Test of the Driving Ability
- Practical Test of Instruction/Coaching Ability
You must apply for registration within 12 months of successfully completing the training course.
You have a maximum of three attempts at each of the qualifying tests. If you do not pass in three attempts you must wait until the end of your 1 year period before you can apply to re-start the qualification process, starting with the theory test. You should complete a further application form at this point. This should be requested from the Fleet Register Section at DVSA Nottingham.
Assessing Vocational Achievement Level 3 Certificate (QCF)
The aim of this qualification is to ensure quality assurance within the assessment of vocational qualifications and contribute to overall performance in all industries and occupations.
The purpose is to enable potential assessors to assess candidates against agreed standards of competence using a range of assessment methods.
Give candidates feedback on assessment decisions and contribute to internal quality assurance processes.
Candidates must complete the mandatory unit as follows:
- Unit 1 Understand the principles and practices of assessment
- Unit 2 Assess occupational competence in the work environment
- Unit 3 Assess vocational skills, knowledge and understanding
- DVSA Fleet driver information: www.gov.uk/become-a-fleet-driver-trainer/overview
- Roadcraft Police Drivers Handbook (2013, Mares & Coyne, The Stationary Office) www.roadcraft.co.uk
- Highway Code (2015, Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) www.highwaycodeuk/download-pdf.html
- Know your Traffic Signs (2007, Department for Transport) https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf
- The Driving Instructors Handbook (2015, Stacey & Miller) http://www.amazon.com/Driving-Instructors-Handbook-John-Miller/dp/0749468408
Education & Training Level 3 Award
Formerly known as PTLLS, the Award in Education and Training is a distance learning course designed to enable a wide range of students to undertake teaching, training or learning tasks relevant to their own training or teaching situation.
The qualification will be assessed by a combination of assignments and observation of teaching or training. The teaching will be a simulation of teaching (micro-teaching) to your peers on the course